Author Topic: THE NEW MINIMUM WAGE  (Read 10550 times)

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
  • Windows NT 6.1 Windows NT 6.1
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.3 Firefox 3.6.3
    • View Profile
THE NEW MINIMUM WAGE
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »
The new minimum wage
Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hopes for better pay for civil servants were raised during the recent May Day celebration with the reported proposal of an increase in the minimum wage from N7,500 to N18,000 by the Federal Government. President Goodluck Jonathan, who addressed workers at the event, directed the Labour Minister, Chief Chukwuemeka Wogu, to ensure that the on-going negotiations with the Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council achieved the desired results within three months.

Although the proposed new minimum wage is a far cry from the N52,000 demanded by labour, there are hopes that the matter will be resolved soon to the benefit of the nation's beleaguered public servants.
The N18,000 offered by the government is a good start to the renewed negotiations. Both government and labour should expedite action on the negotiations so that the objective of enhanced pay for workers will be realized as soon as possible. Both parties should work towards an agreement on a living wage that can guarantee a decent standard of living for public servants.

Arriving at the minimum wage in the public service should not be a matter for conjecture. It should be an amount that can make a difference in the quality of life of workers.
Government and labour should be able to work out an amount that can meet financial requirements for a decent accommodation, feeding, healthcare and transportation for an average household. Government should appreciate the fact that it is not just enough to increase salaries, the increase should not be tokenist. It should not be just to create euphoria, or boost the illusion of well-being of workers. It should not be for government propaganda purposes.

Through scientific means, the relevant authorities should consider the relevant indices, especially inflationary rates and the present cost of living in the country, to arrive at a reasonable salary structure. Labour, on its part, must strike a balance between its demands, and what the economy can support.
Beyond the new pay structure, however, government must address the issue of value of the naira. There is a growing disparity between the value of our currency and what it can buy. The value of our currency must be made to grow in line with its nominal value. The coming wage increase must take care of this disparity. We must move away from arbitrariness in the fixing of wages.

The nation's financial authorities also need to boost the economy to increase the capacity to pay whatever is agreed on. We need a good economic policy to boost productivity. It is only when productivity increases that inflation can be kept at a reasonable level. Then, the workers can buy more with whatever they earn, and the perennial demands for wage increases will go down. It is only then that workers will be emancipated from poverty and have a chance to have a decent living in the country.

Luckily, the president of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), Abdul Waheed Omar, has assured the nation that the necessary processes for arriving at a proper package has been duly completed by the Belgore Alfa-led committee. What is being awaited is the final decision on the agreed sum. Also, Jonathan has decried the piecemeal approach to wage increase. He has stated that government is working on in-built wage increase mechanism that will adjust workers salaries at regular intervals, without their agitating for increases. This is a welcome proposition
Government and labour should therefore move fast to finalise the processes that will lead to the actual increase.

Advertisements

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:56:07 AM by Lecturerdave »

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

THE NEW MINIMUM WAGE
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: THE NEW MINIMUM WAGE
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »
from N7,500 to N18,000
Still too small.

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

Offline fulbanu007

• New
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.19 Firefox 3.0.19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:28:07 AM »
many minimum wage state laws will also change.   In cases where an employee is subject to both state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the greater of the two wages.   As it stands, there are 31 states that will be affected by this minimum wage increase.   The states include: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.   To view updated minimum wage rates for your respective state,

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:30:26 AM by fulbanu007 »
Lexus IS350 Parts

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:54:58 AM »
many minimum wage state laws will also change.   In cases where an employee is subject to both state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the greater of the two wages.   As it stands, there are 31 states that will be affected by this minimum wage increase.   The states include: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.   To view updated minimum wage rates for your respective state,
We talking of Nigerian wage not america.

Offline fancybynature4ever@yahoo.

• Global Moderator
  • Leader
  • Your greatness isn't what you have today but what you create out of today...
  • Java Platform Micro Edition Java Platform Micro Edition
  • Browser:
  • Opera 9.80 (Opera Mini 4.2.13337) Opera 9.80 (Opera Mini 4.2.13337)
    • View Profile
  • Profession: ALUMINIUM FIBERICATOR AND DISTRIBUTOR SUCH AS ROOFINGS , WINDOWS AND DOORS call +2348037391565 or +2348057590539
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 01:58:09 PM »
If min wage should be at range of N25,000 lest, it will encourage workers to work..

Post Merge: May 23, 2010, 03:01:11 PM
If min wage should be at range of N25,000 lest, it will encourage workers to work..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:01:11 PM by fancybynature4ever@yahoo. »
I am what i am because THE GRACE OF "AM I ONLY I AM"

Offline dhanypartner

• New
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.19 Firefox 3.0.19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
At this time, many minimum wage state laws will also change.  In cases where an employee is subject to both state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the greater of the two wages.  As it stands, there are 31 states that will be affected by this minimum wage increase.  The states include: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.  To view updated minimum wage rates for your respective state, click here. Many workers will be affected by the minimum wage increase.  For part-time workers, the increase provides a silver-lining, as employers choose to promote more from within.  Low-skilled, and youth workers also stand to gain, under the assumption they are currently employed.  However, for unemployed teen workers, job prospects look grim.  In June 2009, the U. S.  Department of Labor reported a 24% teen unemployment rate, further adding to the up-hill battle teens face when seeking employment. 

Lexus LX450 Parts

Offline orok

• New
  • Windows Vista Windows Vista
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »
 :'( till date the minimum wages issue is just a mere political statement, and the poor cilil servants are yet to appreciate  political statements and i keep wondering when that will come to past.

• Global Moderator
  • Leader
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
    • View Profile
  • Profession: ALUMINIUM FIBERICATOR AND DISTRIBUTOR SUCH AS ROOFINGS , WINDOWS AND DOORS call +2348037391565 or +2348057590539
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »
Till then..

Offline ACEMO1

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:29:20 AM »
the min wage for the public 18,500, while the min wage for politicians runs into billions
where is the fairness in this game
A true and sincere spirit of humility

Ganja Tea!!!...Take a sip

• Global Moderator
  • Leader
  • Java Platform Micro Edition Java Platform Micro Edition
  • Browser:
  • Opera 9.80 (Opera Mini 5.1.21051) Opera 9.80 (Opera Mini 5.1.21051)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 04:17:37 AM »
What next?

Offline fapohundaa

• http://www.justnaira.com
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.13 Firefox 3.0.13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 09:31:09 PM »
I love this so much!
Learn how to write an effective resume and cover letter @ www.  effectiveresume.  co.  cc

Offline ACEMO1

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Windows Vista Windows Vista
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 01:38:54 PM »
do you? fapohundaa.
A true and sincere spirit of humility

Ganja Tea!!!...Take a sip

Offline maximumbrainpower

• Browser:
  • Opera 9.80 Opera 9.80
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »
I have been a Civil Servant for more than thirty years.  I am above fifty years.
I have seen everything: Trust me on that.  "Minimum Wage" panaceas are a big joke.

I learned to play Chess and entered my first Tournament at the age of 7.
(Okay, so I lasted exactly four moves.  But, hey, I participated in a chess Tournament at the age of seven!)
My point being that I am very aware of Causes and Effects, Goals and Strategies.
Life is a Chessboard, on which nothing happens by accident.  Someone is always planning some. . .  stuff,
even if you're not.  (That is what my defeat in the first and only Chess Tournament I was ever in taught me. )

I would like you to read something that got ten of my accounts banned from YAHOO! about 1999:

PROTOCOL No.  6.

1.  We shall soon begin to establish huge monopolies, reservoirs of colossal riches, upon which even,
large fortunes of the GOYIM will depend to such an extent that they will go to the bottom together with
the credit of the States on the day after the political smash . . .

2.  You gentlemen here present who are economists, just strike an estimate of the significance of this
combination! . . .

3.  In every possible way we must develop the significance of our Super-Government by representing
it as the Protector and Benefactor of all those who voluntarily submit to us.

4.  The aristocracy of the GOYIM as a political force, is dead - We need not take it into account; but as
landed proprietors they can still be harmful to us from the fact that they are self-sufficing in the
resources upon which they live.  It is essential therefore for us at whatever cost to deprive them of their
land.  This object will be best attained by increasing the burdens upon landed property - in loading
lands with debts.  These measures will check land- holding and keep it in a state of humble and
unconditional submission.

5.  The aristocrats of the GOYIM, being hereditarily incapable of contenting themselves with little,
will rapidly burn up and fizzle out.
WE SHALL ENSLAVE GENTILES

6.  At the same time we must intensively patronize trade and industry, but, first and foremost,
speculation, the part played by which is to provide a counterpoise to industry: the absence of
speculative industry will multiply capital in private hands and will serve to restore agriculture by
freeing the land from indebtedness to the land banks.  What we want is that industry should drain off
from the land both labor and capital and by means of speculation transfer into our hands all the money
of the world, and thereby throw all the GOYIM into the ranks of the proletariat.  Then the GOYIM will
bow down before us, if for no other reason but to get the right to exist.

7.  To complete the ruin of the industry of the GOYIM we shall bring to the assistance of speculation
the luxury which we have developed among the GOYIM, that greedy demand for luxury which is
swallowing up everything.  WE SHALL RAISE THE RATE OF WAGES WHICH, HOWEVER, WILL
NOT BRING ANY ADVANTAGE TO THE WORKERS, FOR, AT THE SAME TIME, WE SHALL
PRODUCE A RISE IN PRICES OF THE FIRST NECESSARIES OF LIFE, ALLEGING THAT IT ARISES
FROM THE DECLINE OF AGRICULTURE AND CATTLE-BREEDING: WE SHALL FURTHER
UNDERMINE ARTFULLY AND DEEPLY SOURCES OF PRODUCTION, BY ACCUSTOMING THE
WORKERS TO ANARCHY AND TO DRUNKENNESS AND SIDE BY SIDE THEREWITH TAKING
ALL MEASURE TO EXTIRPATE FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH ALL THE EDUCATED FORCES
OF THE "GOYIM. "

8.  IN ORDER THAT THE TRUE MEANING OF THINGS MAY NOT STRIKE THE "GOYIM"
BEFORE THE PROPER TIME WE SHALL MASK IT UNDER AN ALLEGED ARDENT DESIRE TO
SERVE THE WORKING CLASSES AND THE GREAT PRINCIPLES OF POLITICAL ECONOMY
ABOUT WHICH OUR ECONOMIC THEORIES ARE CARRYING ON AN ENERGETIC PROPAGANDA

Are you aware of the document from which these words come?
This is the strategy that rules entire nations.  If you have never heard of it before, who do you think is responsible for that?
If the Rulers of Nations let their Victims know what their strategy was, how could they expect it to work?

I am amazed at how even people affected by the strategies mapped out by the document from which these words come, even bend over backward to defend those who use them, embrace and pass on the propaganda appended to all references of this document they wish to control, that is:

1.  The Document is a forgery, and not authored by the persons it is claimed to be authored by.

2.  The Document is a forgery, and not authored by the persons the Document says that it is authored by.

3.  That The Document is untrue, and contains no useful nor relevant information.

During the Soviet Era, possession of the Document from which the quotation is taken was grounds for summary execution.
("Summary Execution" means "Kill & Go. " The Police can just shoot the person, and there is no Case.  Not an unfamilar concept to a Nigerian. )

These sorts of Documents (e. g.  The PRINCE, by Niccolo Machiavelli, THE ART OF WAR, by Sun Tzu, THE BOOK OF FIVE RINGS, by Musashi Miyamato, THE TWO BABYLONS, by Alexander Hislop, etc. ) are immensely useful, because they tell you what to expect, what is going on, and what is happening, so that you can comport yourself for the protection of your person and your family.  Do not get drawn into distractions about who "really" authored the document, or didn't.  That is no longer important.  What is important is: "Who is using it on us right now?"

One of the funniest off-the-cuff remarks I have ever heard came from one of my favorite Sci-Fi authors, before I discovered Sci-Fi writers who were even more serious than he was:

"There is a ready solution for any Civil Servant who feels that his salary is not enough:
He can resign, and work for a living!"

- Robert A Heinlein.

The biggest mistake made by a government worker is to take up employment expecting to be paid commensurate with their their labour and position.
A patriotic government worker will do their job for the benefit of their country, and enrich themselves by some other means, without abusing their office, nor compromising their productivity.  In Europe and America, there are people who are civil servants who, at their own insistence, are paid one unit of currency per year, as their salary.  That is, One Dollar, One Pound, One Deutsch Mark, and so on.  To explain the implications and ramifications of this practice would take up more space than you might be prepared to read.  I don't know who these officers are, but I know that this is the way in which some of them behave.  That one unit of currency is a binding on their personal integrity and commitment far greater than any iron chain, or weapon applied to their neck.  They will work themselves to the point of Ulcer and beyond, because they consider themselves the servant of their country.

Of course, many of these people have their means of livelihood which may or may not be lavish.  Steve Jobs, the co-founder and Chief Executive Officer of APPLE COMPUTERS was removed from his position as head by a man he employed, who realized his weakness, and garnered the support of their stockholders, and then came back as an employee of his own company, receiving a salary of the humongous sum of One Dollar (count it!) per year.  However, he at the same time enjoys stock options in the millions.  But it is still an ignominy, and nothing to be proud of, to be so paid by the company one founded.  But he daily tolerates a situation that would kill the average Nigerian- probably within a matter of hours.  Aneurysm.  Apoplexy.

I have tried to explain this to fellow Nigerians before, and I always received- no matter how "understandingly" they smile- the clear and ringing telepathic message: "OVER YOUR DEAD BODY, CHARLIE!"

The Ruling Clique is never going to look out for The People- so The People must learn to look out for themselves.
The Cost of Living will be raised, or "allowed to rise," so that the pressure will remain on The People, so they will be too stressed to think about getting rid of the people who engineered the mess that they find themselves in.  Please read PROTOCOL 6 very carefully.

"We must all hang together,
otherwise, we shall all hang separately. "

-Benjamin Franklin when called upon to sign the Declaration of Independence. "

There is a video you need to locate, download, and watch: THE MONEY MASTERS, by Ben Still.
(Yes, I have it.  Yes, I could sell it.  That is not my intention, and I am not doing it. ) This will explain why this is happening to us, year-in, year-out.

Offline IKOFX

• Linux (Ubuntu) Linux (Ubuntu)
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.18 Firefox 3.6.18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 01:49:15 AM »
Giving the workers their minimum wage will encourage them to work properly.  .  .   But still, the government must have the power to implement price control in order for the minimum wagers to live a decent life. 

Please feel free to come and visit our FB page for more latest news and updates that will help you guys to improve your decision making. 
http.   www.   facebook.   com/pages/Ikofx/213186568697555

forex broker
IKO Forex Limited - The Ideal Place for Forex Trading

Offline noahlee112

• New
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 16.0.912.63 Chrome 16.0.912.63
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 02:08:14 AM »
Carraz Gowns was founded in 1984 by a fashion industry
veteran who opened a small boutique in Beverly Hills
offering evening dresses from Italy and France.  The
evening dresses offered today still exhibit a European
flair, reminiscent of the first collections offered by
Carraz Gowns.
---------------
Prom Dresses

Offline Herbert Reynolds

• Semi Cadet
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.12 Firefox 3.6.12
    • View Profile
  • Profession: computer
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 05:14:16 AM »
At that time, many state laws minimum wage changes.  In cases where employees are protected by law and the federal minimum wage, employees are entitled to the larger of the two wages.  As it stands, there are 31 state of minimum wage increases have hit.  States: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma , Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
maybelline drama gel eyeliner

Offline devv333

• Cadet
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 12.0 Firefox 12.0
    • View Profile
  • Profession: Entrepreneur
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »
There have been many laws, rules and regulations regarding minimum wages but all are in vague.   No government has just brought any effective and concrete law for this. 

Post Merge: October 01, 2012, 08:53:29 AM
I think civil servants should not bother about the salary and salary increment. 

Perhaps they have forgotten that they have joined this service to serve the nation not for money.  They get power and that is enough to change the world.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:53:29 AM by devv333 »

Offline james067

• Jr Cadet
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 17.0 Firefox 17.0
    • View Profile
  • Profession: manager
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 12:29:22 PM »
yaeh its very less