Author Topic: I AM HERE TO TESTIFY  (Read 16230 times)

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: i am here to testify
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »
Beibee, peacetee,
since you may one day become HR manager, better get familiar with some of the tags.

nb,
I was wonder whether you read process Engineering or is it an option? Process Engineering is not offered seperately by most Nigerian Universities. How can younger one get that spe...ation?

Advertisements

CLICK HERE TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS ON NBF SOCIAL NETWORK
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Links To Appear In both Signature and Posts.

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »

Offline newbegining

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2008, 04:07:01 PM »
i don't think Process Engineering is offered  as  a course in any University in the world. it is a terminology in the oil and gas industry used to describe some particular roles and specific work done by  some Engineers. Just like Facilities Engineers found in the industry is not offered as a course also.

Engineers with Chemical and petroleum Engineering backgound are generally termed as Process Engineers.

I am also aware that we also have Drilling Engineers and Reservoir Engineers  in the oil and gas industry and these proffession are offered as courses in school like  RGU- Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, UK.

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »
Thank you for that. You know many young Engineers, fresh from school, would just apply for job titles without knowing the essential job details.

Apart from common occupations like the Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, Civil Engineering etc that has clear cut job decription, some like facility Engineer, Process Engineer are spe...ts. They are so-called because of their job specification.

I am expecially interested in us dissecting oil and gas here. I am sure it would be a great opportunity to learn from there.

That said. Would you be kind enough to tell us more on oil and gas profession. So far, you are the only willing one around in that area. We would love to tap from the pool of your knowledge.

@beibee,
would you be kind enough to move this thread to Engineering. I am posting from phone hence can't do it myself.

Offline newbegining

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2008, 10:40:36 PM »
These are some Professions available  in the oil and gas industry.

1.Reserviour Engineering
2. Drilling Engineering
3.Facilities Engineering
4. Process Enginnering
5. Petroleum Engineering
6.  Petroleum Geologists
7. Petrophysicists
8. Well Engineering

9. Geophysicists
10. Production Engineering

Reservoir engineering is a branch of petroleum engineering, typically concerned with maximizing the economic recovery of hydrocarbons from the subsurface.

Of particular interest to reservoir engineers is generating accurate reserves estimates for use in financial reporting to the SEC and other regulatory bodies. Other job responsibilities include numerical reservoir modeling, production forecasting, well testing, well drilling and workover planning, economic modeling, and PVT analysis of reservoir fluids.

Reservoir engineers also play a central role in field development planning, recommending appropriate and cost effective reservoir depletion schemes such as waterflooding or gas injection to maximize hydrocarbon recovery.

Drilling engineering is a subset of petroleum engineering. It is primarily involved in the design and drilling of production and injection wells. The drilling engineer has the responsibility for the efficient penetration of the earth by a well bore, and for cementing of the steel casing from the surface to a depth usually just about the target reservoir.

The term "facilities engineering" evolved from "plant engineering" in the early 1990s as U.S. workplaces became more complex. Practitioners preferred this term because it more accurately reflected the multidisciplinary demands for specialized conditions in a wider variety of indoor environments, not merely manufacturing plants.

Today, a facilities engineer (vs. a facilities manager) typically has hands-on responsibility for the employer's electrical engineering, maintenance, environmental, health, safety, energy, controls/instrumentation, civil engineering, and HVAC needs. The need for expertise in these categories varies widely depending on whether the facility is, for example, a single-use site or a multi-use campus; whether it is an office, school, hospital, museum, processing/production plant.

Process engineering is often a synonym for chemical engineering and focuses on the design, operation and maintenance of chemical and material manufacturing processes. Process engineering and process engineers are found in a vast range of industries, such as the petrochemical, mineral processing, material, Information Technology, food and pharmaceutical and biotechnological industries. Process engineering also involves developing new processes, project engineering and troubleshooting.

Petroleum engineering refers to the subsurface engineering activities related to the production of hydrocarbons, which can be either crude oil or gas. These activities are deemed to fall within the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry which are the activities of finding and producing hydrocarbons prior to the point of refining or distribution to a market, which is referred to as the downstream sector. Petroleum Geology and Petroleum Engineering are the two main subsurface disciplines within the oil and gas industry, which focus on maximising economic recovery of hydrocarbons from subsurface reservoirs. Petroleum Geology focuses on provision of a static description of the hydrocarbon reservoir rock, whilst Petroleum Engineering focuses on estimation of the recoverable volume of this resource using a detailed understanding of the physical behavior of oil, water and gas within porous rock at very high pressure. The combined efforts of Geologists and Petroleum Engineers throughout the life of a hydrocarbon accumulation determine the way in which a reservoir is developed and depleted, and usually they have the highest impact on field economics. Petroleum Engineering requires a good knowledge of many other related disciplines, such as Geophysics, Petroleum Geology, Formation Evaluation (well logging), Drilling, Economics, Reservoir Simulation, Well Engineering, Artificial Lift Systems, and Oil & Gas Facilities Engineering.

A petroleum geologist is an occupation that involves all aspects of oil discovery and production. Petroleum geologists are usually linked to the actual discovery of oil and the identification of possible oil deposits or leads. It can be a very labor intensive task involving several different fields of science and elaborate machinery.
Petroleum geologists look at the structural and sedimentary aspects of the stratum|strata to identify possible oil traps. Petroleum geologists make the decision on where the location of drilling will occur. This is done by locating a sedimentary basin. Petroleum geologists determine the well?s integrity with seven main aspects according orthodox view of petroleum exploration:

Source- The presence of Hydrocarbons in the reservoir.
Reservoir- The porous medium that contains the Hydrocarbons.
Seal- The rock unit that inhibits the oil from escaping the seal.
Trap- Structural feature that impedes the escape of Hydrocarbons.
Timing- The idea that events occurred in a certain order to allow the decomposition of organic matter into Hydrocarbons.
Maturation- The alloted time for the decompostition of organics into oil.
Migration- The flow of the (less dense) oil up the reservoir to the trap.

These seven key aspects allow the Petroleum geologist to obtain a 1-dimensional idea of the subsurface.
Some other data may be obtained via Geophysical methods. Geophysical logs show the seismology data of elastic waves, mainly seismic reflection. This allows a 3-dimensional look of the trap, and source rock. More data may be obtained from the mudlogger, who analyzes the drill cuttings and the rock formation thicknesses.

Petrophysicist   job is to determine the potential quality and performance of a petroleum resource by estimating

how much hydrocarbon is present and whether it can be produced economically.

Well Engineering

Field development planning and well design,Well economics, Optimising well construction, maintenance and abandonment operationsSubsurface data gathering, Safety and environmental management.

Geophysicist

A Geophysicist must have a strong science background, a curious mind, and a fascination with natural phenomena to succeed. Geophysicists measure, examine, and explore the physical properties of earth, from below the ground to the atmosphere, from the depths of the ocean to the tops of volcanoes. Daily duties include studying readouts of measurement equipment, examining natural phenomena (such as tidal waves and electromagnetic fields), and writing reports which correlate the two

Offline peacetee

• Leader
  • Aint he Hott !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2008, 11:03:14 PM »
Thank you for that. You know many young Engineers, fresh from school, would just apply for job titles without knowing the essential job details.

Apart from common occupations like the Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, Civil Engineering etc that has clear cut job decription, some like facility Engineer, Process Engineer are spe...ts. They are so-called because of their job specification.

I am expecially interested in us dissecting oil and gas here. I am sure it would be a great opportunity to learn from there.

That said. Would you be kind enough to tell us more on oil and gas profession. So far, you are the only willing one around in that area. We would love to tap from the pool of your knowledge.

@beibee,
would you be kind enough to move this thread to Engineering. I am posting from phone hence can't do it myself.

In Beibee's absence, consider it done !
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »
Thanks peacetee.

Nb,
that is a wide network of career choice. In fact, I felt like going to Oil and gas career!

You are a genius. Please PM and let me send you an email of someone who can mentor you further! You really worth that confidentiality.

So, back to issue:

it does appears process Engineering is not limited to Oil and Gas though it find a wide berth in that area. Probably because of our reputation as "OIL NATION". That need further clarification, NB. Can we dwell on more opportunities in process Engineering?

Also, the instrumentation and control. Isn't that a segment of electromechanical engineering? Sadly, we have not been hearing much of this all important hybrid of Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Engineering. You know that is where nanotechnology and robotics find a wide application.

Engineering today is becoming more and more complex. Little wonder why our graduates fail to make impact when they are employed.

Offline newbegining

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2008, 04:48:32 PM »
The oil and gas industry spends huge resources to train and re-train their staffs, that why you get to discover that most of those currently occupying most of these positions  might not even have engineering background but were trained on the job and with experience they became expert in it.

I agree with you, Process Engineering is not just limited to oil and gas industry, you find process Engineers in pharmaceutical industry also.

As you rightly said, instrumentation is a hybrid of electrical, mechanical and computer engineering.

i will post more profession jobs found in the oil and gas industry.

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2008, 10:06:13 AM »
Surely must you do!

Waiting are for them we!

Greatest petroleum engineers!

Offline peacetee

• Leader
  • Aint he Hott !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2008, 06:03:10 AM »
@ NB u managd 2 get Olanajim speakn in engineern tongues! Gr8 thing u hav done must i say!
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

Offline newbegining

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »
We have a whole bunch of Engineers found in the oil  and gas industry,

Here comes the concluding part

1.Instrumentation and Control Engineers
2. Quality Assurance/ Quality Control (QA/QC) Engineers
3. Piping Engineers
4. Corrosion Engineers
5. Planning Engineers
6. Structural Engineers
7. Mechanical Engineers
8. Electrical Engineers
9. Civil Engineers

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »

great work newbeginning...

we shall celebrate with you soon!
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Link To Appear In your Signature
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPAM TO INCREASE YOUR POSTS COUNT. START BY WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND HELPING OTHERS. SPAMMING WILL ONLY GET YOU BANNED!

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2008, 12:30:43 AM »
Peacetee,
you can not go to the river without getting wet. That explain it. Beside, I am engineer too though not in oil and gas.

Nb,
do you have idea about instrumentation and control? I did it at school but disliked the calculations. It can be boring. Yet, it is an interesting course. Not popular until recent time.

Offline newbegining

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2008, 04:49:53 PM »
Gonna testify very soon to the glory of God.

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »

we're eager to celebrate
with you...
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Link To Appear In your Signature
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPAM TO INCREASE YOUR POSTS COUNT. START BY WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND HELPING OTHERS. SPAMMING WILL ONLY GET YOU BANNED!

Offline newbegining

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2008, 07:13:43 PM »
thks broda, keep up the good work.it can't go unrewarded.

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2008, 07:13:43 PM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free