Author Topic: Hollywood Vs Nollywood  (Read 14683 times)

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
Re: Hollywood Vs Nollywood
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 07:59:17 PM »
NO,we're just selling our slangs abroad just like the Americas.
by bowing down to my mother-in-law, which is not done in America. 
That's good of you, they will love you more for that.

Advertisements

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 07:59:17 PM »

Offline pmdaboh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 08:12:17 PM »
NO,we're just selling our slangs abroad just like the Americas.
by bowing down to my mother-in-law, which is not done in America. 
That's good of you, they will love you more for that.

I hope so, Prince.  Many Nigerian customs seem to prompt humility as opposed to our customs here that prompt an attitude of "every man for himself".
CLICK HERE TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS ON NBF SOCIAL NETWORK
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Links To Appear In both Signature and Posts.

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 08:12:17 PM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 08:16:44 PM »
Who wouldn't be happy to see an American bowing and kneeling down in Nigeria,
they don't see that everyday.

Offline Nollywoodwatch

• Jr Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 06:16:56 AM »
To help a few of you, 'Rome was not built in a day' they say; having said that it may also interest you to know that a prophet is despised in his own home; as if that is not enough we do not know what we got.

Nollywood is unique in its own and to some, i agree there is no basis for comparism.  However, we can fine tune a few things and Nollywood will stand out.

Let us rid ourselves of this imperialist thought of perfection based on rules that are tilted against your own vey success.

Nollywood is Nollywood!

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 09:39:28 AM »
in essence what are you saying?

the thread says: hollywood vs nollywood...

apparently, there's no genuine basis for
comparison! like sister judy2 stated:

it'll be comparing rice with what? sand!

no one's totally condemned nollywood;
it has its fine moments of magic and i'm
thrilled whenever i find such rare moments
of magic in hollywood movies!

imperialistic what? don't be xenophobic either!
in life, views should be balanced not skewed;
in life, our ways should be 'water for fire' and
not 'fire for fire'...

like pmdaboh observed, and i follow her line
of thinking; the african culture protrayed by
africans...who could have done it better? us!

there's a snag about the nollywood movies
they don't have a world-view...so parochial;
look at other foreign movies they try hard to
explore a world-view from their limited cultural
borders...

they think commerce and they think audience
even far away...

what does nollywood think? most movies think cheap!
alaba marketers and story-stealing writers/producers
doing crazy movie-remix of foreign movies...

it's not as if this is nollywood error alone...as in 419
scam, we've come first in glorified rubbish called movies
most of the time!

to cut a long post short...there are rare good movies
produced by nollywood [in terms of picture, sound and story];
you find a preponderance of such in hollywood.

what else is left unsaid?

pmdaboh: kudos for all your fine efforts;
may you be richly rewarded!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:42:01 AM by beibee »
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Link To Appear In your Signature
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPAM TO INCREASE YOUR POSTS COUNT. START BY WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND HELPING OTHERS. SPAMMING WILL ONLY GET YOU BANNED!

Offline judy2

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 09:48:21 AM »
I feel that if Nollywood is promoting our diverse culture to the outside world
it will be better than copying every hollywood movie that came out.
The editing of nollywood films are very poor this can be done correctly with even some
free softwares.The music they play in movies are pirated and too loud i can go on but
what will i achieve.

Offline chuxxy3000

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 10:22:10 AM »
nollywood sucks...
Shit Happens...

Offline luciemine

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 11:29:31 AM »
To help a few of you, 'Rome was not built in a day' they say; having said that it may also interest you to know that a prophet is despised in his own home; as if that is not enough we do not know what we got.

Nollywood is unique in its own and to some, i agree there is no basis for comparism.  However, we can fine tune a few things and Nollywood will stand out.

Let us rid ourselves of this imperialist thought of perfection based on rules that are tilted against your own vey success.

Nollywood is Nollywood!
i quite disagree with you, not all their films, just say to certain extent, my dispmnt in them is that they should learn how to compose or write their scripts not acting nigeria version of hollywood, at least some are ok, like most of tade ogidans and Adepetu Tajudeen, they are cool producers, can u imagine nigerian matured producer dont know his name produced 'THE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST', old boy u need to advise these guys, well some of the films are cool
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:10:51 PM by luciemine »
Am God's Handwork

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 11:44:41 AM »

yeah the likes of tade ogidan, tajudeen,
kilani...very few good men in the nolyywood
business.

exceptional productions by them...
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPAM TO INCREASE YOUR POSTS COUNT. START BY WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND HELPING OTHERS. SPAMMING WILL ONLY GET YOU BANNED!

Offline chris-jaxxmen

• A hustlers ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »
I believe that nollywood is up coming and is getting somewhere.soon our movies will be recognized over the world.And as for our pidgin English I don't personally see any wrong using them in our movies,besides hollywood till use so much slngs in thier films which we Africans find it hard to understand.To Me,I think we're just tryin to selling over vocals to the outside world.
play low.

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »

go ahead...sell!

Offline chris-jaxxmen

• A hustlers ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »
Infact I'm proud to be a Nigerian Its not that easy,that shows how talented we are,Ranking amongst the World largest movie producing Countries in the world,not only that,much more respect is in deed showed to our Arstist out there!
play low.

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »

you're not far from the truth...

Offline chris-jaxxmen

• A hustlers ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »
And what do you think?
play low.

Offline proverbs6_31

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2008, 06:13:35 PM »
I totally agree.

Complaining about our limitations will never get us past mediocrity.

I watched a Virgin Nigeria Interview in which Uche Jumbo was the guest artist. As far as she could see, there was no basis for comparing Hollywood and Nollywood. I TOTALLY agree with her. Very few if any of our actors or actresses would ever get a walk-on role in a Hollywood movie. 

Creativity has nothing to do with low budget, no NEPA etc. etc. Our primary problem is dat we are so impressed with ourselves that we see no reason to step up. M-E-D-I-O-C-R-I-T-Y.

If a director wants to shoot a movie two days after issuing a script, it is clear that he does not require a stellar performance. I ask, where does the owner of a house pack his car outside his compound and TREK to his front door...only in Nollywood.

I have decided to avoid pirated copies of Oyibo films, dat is why I am forced to sift through nollywoods multiple productions for that one good movie.

No matter how often we go to the Cannes Film festival, for as long as we 'make do'...we will remain dia!

Offline d muguwokeup

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 06:28:28 PM »
Stephanie Okereke was quite good in DANGEROUS GAMBLE (a Ghanaian-Nigerian production). Her stint in South Africa and the acting Classes she took/is taking(?) are begininng to manifest. Of course the script was not quite it...some of the things said/done in that movie were so unreal. But she did good.

About Nollywood? Very few of the actors read Theatre Arts and very few of them have any plans of taking Acting Classes.

To be a Lawyer, you go to school and take exams, to be a Banker, you do the same thing, everybody takes some kind of exam, so why is Nollywood different. They should stop going to Cannes O...Cannes is not d problem. Neither is Government support or non-support.

When Nollywood is ready to take its place, it will become PROFESSIONAL, in performance, packaging, editing, sound quality etc. etc.

The sweetness of egusi soup has very little to do with what your neighbour put in her own pot. Nollywood, get di recipe right, and if dia is no money for stock-fish, do not substitute, improvise.

If you can't drive into a borrowed compound, please, show up at the front door. We don't need to follow your descent from the car, and your TREK through the gates of your home to the front door.

Cook with what you have, but cook well.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:38:35 PM by d muguwokeup »

Offline luciemine

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 11:41:08 AM »
I agree with u guys, i watch films a lot and i have seen so many hollywood, bollywood and nollywood films, but if our nollywood actors will bring themselves to the level that they want to learn how to do what they are doing better I believe that Nollywood will be better, most of them just want to be known and show that they are there where as they are far far away from good i still respect some like Olu Jacos, His Diva wife Joke Silva,Bimbo Akintola,Peter Edochie, Sola Fosudo, Uche Obi Osotule etc even among the new actresses like Funke Akindele,she is also good, pple need to discover what they are meant for not just that my friend is an actress and i wanna be.
Even producers should take their audition serious and not just give role to anybody in the name of i wanna give role.

There are some producers that i respect, like Tade Ogidan u need to see some of his films, is it Dangerous twins, Diamond Ring, Madam dearest, guy  some nollywood films are good so let some of these producers learn from these cinematograher and producers, Pride can do nothing but kills.
Am God's Handwork

Offline d muguwokeup

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 06:21:46 PM »
Na you biko!

If Nollywood refuses to upgrade, one day, the gifted members of this team will move on.

For real!!!

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »
I agree with u guys, i watch films a lot and i have seen so many hollywood, bollywood and nollywood films, but if our nollywood actors will bring themselves to the level that they want to learn how to do what they are doing better I believe that Nollywood will be better, most of them just want to be known and show that they are there where as they are far far away from good i still respect some like Olu Jacos, His Diva wife Joke Silva,Bimbo Akintola,Peter Edochie, Sola Fosudo, Uche Obi Osotule etc even among the new actresses like Funke Akindele,she is also good, pple need to discover what they are meant for not just that my friend is an actress and i wanna be.
Even producers should take their audition serious and not just give role to anybody in the name of i wanna give role.

There are some producers that i respect, like Tade Ogidan u need to see some of his films, is it Dangerous twins, Diamond Ring, Madam dearest, guy  some nollywood films are good so let some of these producers learn from these cinematograher and producers, Pride can do nothing but kills.
You're really a good film fan.

Offline chuxxy3000

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »
nollywood still sucks a great deal to me but learnt they make good money. i always want to watch a movie that challenges my intellect and deepens my sense of humor, nollywood cant provide dat but sum still likes it. thats fine but my own view doesnt matter, does it?
Shit Happens...

Offline d muguwokeup

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 06:30:27 PM »

Broda Prince,

I sure am!

Offline aseye

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
nolly vs holly is a very tough one, they can't even be compared at all, naija still have a long way to go, apart from the talent issues, there so many other factors that i affecting nolly, e.g. the major issue in naija, corruption, and then probably technology advancement, for some advanced graphical effects and so on, also talent and skills as to exist for a very good production, not that holly to is there yet but they are advancing and moving at a fast rate while nolly is dragging slow, thats why we have a long way to go and we can't catch up except...
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Links To Appear In both Signature and Posts.

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »
The different is simple, Budget,

some hollywood films cost most than $hundre million $1,000,0000 to produce,

if nollywood have the same budget i don't see why they can't compete nose to nose with hollywood.

Offline d muguwokeup

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2008, 04:49:56 PM »
Bros,

leave dat side. If we have inept producers, a silly storyline and actors who make no attempt to better their craft, nobody will invest in Nollywood. Some of the scripts are so ridiculous it is embarassing...and when the script is good, the props guy helps mess everything up.

Example: that beautiful script by Gift Asabuja (Too late to Cry). Empress Njamah's character (a big man's babe) - in a very spacious room placed her face cleanser on the TV set and stood beside it to cleanse her face.

Where does that happen. Money wasn't the problem here, the room was richly appointed.

Q: So what happened...why didn't she sit at a dressing table to cleanse her face?
Ans: so that when Ken Okonkwo entered the room, he could cuddle her from the back...???

Once more, a to-have Home Video became a let's-borrow-and-return VCD. Why would I want to have it around?

Bros, no matter how much we have, until Nollywood excels at storytelling - from the props man to the actor, to the Wardrobe co-ordinator to the actors and actresses, we will still be singing the same 'OLD song'.

'STRONGER THAN PAIN' received rave reviews in Nigeria and the U.S. because serious attention was paid to detail. The same goes with Osuofia in London. Ogunde's films were a must watch and, Tade Ogidan has made consistent impact, because he went the extra mile.

If we think that Nollywood lacks the resources, then Nollywood should close shop. The American government is not funding its Film Industry, so there's no reason for Nollywood to be a Budget item on any Government's expenditure.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:05:50 PM by d muguwokeup »

Offline proverbs6_31

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2008, 05:02:56 PM »
Final Word.

If indeed capital is Nollywood's excuse, what excuse will the Sports Ministry give...even Jaimaca (courtesy of Usain Bolt) has won a gold medal and broken a world record.

I seriously doubt that the Jamaica's Sports Ministry has a budget as big as Nigeria's.

We have to stop making excuses...it is time to go the Extra Mile.

In this Internet age, 'Good enough' has become a sickening pasttime.

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2008, 05:02:56 PM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free