Author Topic: YOUNG LEADERS? CONFERENCE: SOSAN CALLS FOR ETHICAL REORIENTATION FOR PUPILS  (Read 932 times)

Offline cooljoe

• Asistance
  • Honorable
  • Learn 4rm yesterday, live 4 2day, hope for 2morrow
  • Windows Vista Windows Vista
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.5 Firefox 3.0.5
    • View Profile
The deputy governor, Lagos State, Mrs. Sarah Adebisi-Sosan, has reviewed the nation?s school system and concluded that more still needed to be done to reawaken the virtues of hard work, diligence, honesty and adherence to all known ethical values among pupils in the country.

Lagos State Deputy Governor, Mrs Adebisi Sarah Sosan

Sosan said this during the opening ceremony of the 2008 Young Leaders Conference organised by the state government in collaboration with a non-governmental organisation, Visible Impact, to sensitise pupils about the virtues of hard work and discipline.

According to Sosan, the pupils need good role models to emulate if they must succeed in their academic and professional endeavours.

She said, ?I will like to implore our dear young ones as a first step, to visualise a role model that you will pattern your lives after, people that you can always look up to for the future; such models would help guide your aspirations and development.

?Read about them, follow up on their achievements in life and be hard-working, diligent and dedicated to your studies. Above all, be prayerful and as you do these, God in His infinite mercies will grant you your hearts desires.?

She told the over 3,000 SS3 pupils drawn from the state?s secondary schools at the event that the government would continue to support their educational aspirations through the provision of free and qualitative education for all children, irrespective of their state of origin and socio-economic background.

?We will continue to do all we can to create an enabling environment for teaching and learning in the state. Education will remain one of our core objectives and we will not rest on our oars until we achieve quality education for all our children,? she added.

Sosan said that the programme was a product of the state?s Adopt-A-School initiative scheme, where the private sector and wealthy individuals were implored to help the state build a virile school system.

The conference, which had the theme, ?I will deliver the future,? was aimed at reviving academic excellence in the state schools and higher institutions.

Speaking on the theme of the conference, the chief executive officer of Visible Impact, Mr. Fela Durotoye, told the pupils that for them to be able to deliver the future, they must have what it takes to succeed. Durotoye said that the pupils must be acquainted with what he called the 17 laws of success.

These, he said, included focus, vision, hard work, diligence and mentoring. ?You will need a good and godly role model. You must be ready to work hard, you must have a dream of greatness, nurture the dream and make choices that will enhance the realisation of such dream,? he said.

Some of the pupils who attended the conference expressed happiness at the event.

According to some of them who spoke with our correspondent, including Kola Oki, and Lolade Ajibola, the conference has changed their outlook towards success.

?It has afforded me the opportunity of listening to highly placed individuals like the deputy governor. It has also given me a new insight into how to handle my studies,? Ajibola said.

Advertisements

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free