Author Topic: US PUPILS VISIT NIGERIA, OTHERS, NARRATE EXPERIENCE OF POVERTY  (Read 875 times)

Offline cooljoe

• Asistance
  • Honorable
  • Learn 4rm yesterday, live 4 2day, hope for 2morrow
  • Windows Vista Windows Vista
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.5 Firefox 3.0.5
    • View Profile
US PUPILS VISIT NIGERIA, OTHERS, NARRATE EXPERIENCE OF POVERTY
« on: December 26, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »
Some United States of America?s primary school children, who visited Nigeria and other developing nations around the world, have expressed surprise at the high rate of poverty in these nations.

According to the 130 pupils of Forest Knolls Elementary School, Rockville, Maryland, US, what they saw in the countries they visited beat their imagination as most children were living below poverty line.

The pupils, who are members of an international club, O Ambassadors, visited Nigeria, Ghana, Thailand and India in a programme organised to raise awareness of poverty and to raise money for impoverished and exploited children around the world.

Quoting the pupils, Empowered Newswire, stated that they saw poverty first hand in countries they visited.

The O Ambassadors Club, is a school-based programme that is a joint endeavour of Oprah Winfrey?s Oprah?s Angel Network and Free The Children. US television host Winfrey founded her OAN in 1997 to encourage viewers to join her in charitable efforts around the world.

Recounting their experiences in a report on America.gov, quoted by the news agency, ?Most students encounter the plight of the less fortunate through reading and their studies at school, but some told America.gov that they?ve seen poverty firsthand during travels with their parents to countries including Thailand, India, Nigeria and Ghana.?

The two-year-old club was established by Susan Michal, a 20-year teacher, who has managed to weave science, journalism, reading and art into the activities of the club.

?Writing about poor children can show people they can find ways to find health care and get an education,? nine-year-old Amicol, who has been to Africa, told America.gov.

Recounting her experience, another pupil, Addie, 10, told America.gov that her work with the club ?makes me feel more fortunate ... makes me appreciate what I have.?

Eugenia, 10, was born in Siberia and adopted by an American couple. She is struggling to learn to walk again after several surgeries. She told America.gov that learning about exploited children makes her sad but grateful for her own blessings. ?I want to help people when I grow up I want to be a nurse,? she said.

Advertisements

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

US PUPILS VISIT NIGERIA, OTHERS, NARRATE EXPERIENCE OF POVERTY
« on: December 26, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free