Author Topic: THE N1BN IMPORTED DUSTBINS CONTRACT  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
  • Windows NT 6.1 Windows NT 6.1
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.10 Firefox 3.6.10
    • View Profile
THE N1BN IMPORTED DUSTBINS CONTRACT
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:30:25 AM »
The N1bn imported dustbins contract
By Wale Sokunbi CURRENTS
Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The raging controversy on the N927, 600,000 contract for supply of 600,000 imported waste disposal bins for use in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja, triggered, for me, memories of the morning of October 1, Nigeria?s 50th Independence Anniversary, which I had earlier decided put behind me.

On the morning, with just a little more time available to me for the day?s chores as I did not have to go to work so early, I had lingered a little longer in the bathroom.

For some reasons which I find difficult to fathom, I passed my hands over my lingerie and underwear, looking over the labels to know where they were made. One after the other, I realised that not a single one of the little items was made in Nigeria. They were all either made in China, Turkey, England or Taiwan. And this was not by design.

As someone who did not go out of the way to buy imported personal items, it suddenly dawned on me that very, very little of these items are actually manufactured in Nigeria. Does anyone know of any major Nigerian manufacturer of underpants? I do not know any. A visit to the underwear sections at Lagos? major markets reveals that the items on sale are mostly from China, Taiwan and England.

I took a walk round my house to see just how many everyday items I use are actually made in Nigeria. Let?s begin with matches. They are made in Taiwan. Safety pins, zips, office pins, socks, ties, rubber slippers etc. Little everyday items that Nigerians use in their millions, everyday. Yet, all of them are made in one Asian country or the other. So little of these items are manufactured in the country.
I became angry, just thinking about 140 million Nigerians going about in underwear made in China, and using matches made in Taiwan! Worse still, a number of our people actually use fairly used underwear imported from the United Kingdom! What exactly is going on in the country? Why can?t Nigerian manufacturers produce these simple items?

I was in this questioning mood for days when I chanced upon a Federal Government announcement of a plan to import 600,000 plastic waste disposal bins (of all items) from some country, maybe Germany of England. Information Minister, Professor Dora Akunyili, who announced the contract awarded to Pentagon Group of Companies at the end of the Federal Executive Council meeting of Wednesday, September 22, was reported to have said that local plastic manufacturers were challenged to take up the responsibility for manufacturing the plastic dustbins, but were found wanting.

The veracity of this statement is now being called to question by manufacturers of plastic ware under the aegis of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN). The sectoral chairman of the Domestic and Industrial Group of MAN, Dr. David V.C. Obi, said the news of impending importation came to the association and most other Nigerians as a shock and a bad 50th independence anniversary gift.

Chief Innocent Chukwuma, Chairman of Innoson Group of Companies, which has one of the nation?s largest plastic plants, has also condemned the contract. He said it will impact negatively on the enhancement of industrialization and job creation in Nigeria. Dr. Obi of Domestic and Industrial Group of MAN, who owns the DVC Plastics Limited, in Emene, Enugu, says the group, which is also known as Association of Plastics Producers in Nigeria, will challenge the retrogressive action by formally protesting to the government.
He said it is contrary that at a time that the country is striving to become an economic giant by the year 2020, its leaders are engaging the reverse gear by taking patronage abroad. He added that the action of the government has led to lost opportunity to boost the plastic industry and create jobs for unemployed Nigerians.

The plastic manufacturers are right. It is, indeed, sad, that Nigeria is putting so much money into importation of plastic waste disposal bins when there are plastic manufacturers in the country.
The poor attitude of government to patronage of local manufacturers and suppliers is at the root of this incident. There can be no justification, at all, for importation of dustbins. Our manufacturers can be encouraged and empowered to produce the quality of dustbins government requires.

Having imported dustbins in Abuja is no plus, at all, to the plan by government to re-brand Nigeria. What image of Nigeria will be painted by the imported dustbins? And what, exactly, would the apostle of re-branding herself, Professor Dora Akunyili, tell any foreign dignitary who comes into the country and admires the disposal bins? Would she not be embarrassed to tell such a person that the bins were actually imported from another country?
Nigeria will do well to encourage local manufacturers to produce simple everyday items like dustbins. I can imagine that so much foreign exchange will be saved if this is done. Companies will be resuscitated and jobs created. Nigeria should have no business importing these items when our manufacturing plants are lying idle and working far below their installed capacity.

Government?s campaign for Nigerians to patronise Nigerian products should not be an empty slogan. It should be real.
To say that Nigerian manufacturers cannot manufacture local refusal disposal bins and other such little items begs the question. Nigerians should use whatever quality of such items we produce. And government should lead the way in showing a good example by patronizing local manufacturers.
Let us use what we produce. This is the only way to keep our industries alive and boost employment, while also giving the manufacturers a chance to improve the quality of their products.

Conviction of Cecilia Ibru

It?s so sad, the former Amazon of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, has been jailed for fraudulent dealings with depositors? funds.
The banking icon, who shone brightly on the nation?s financial landscape prior to the Sanusi sack gale, which swept her out of office, now wears the toga of a convict, even if she is to spend her jail term at the highbrow (some call it five-star) health facility, Reddington Hospital, on Victoria Island, Lagos.
Although many people have been quick to condemn her liberal jail term ? just six months in all for someone who misappropriated N191 billion, I believe the weight of the conviction is enough to crush the spirit of the lady. Anyone who has seen her picture in recent times is sure to wonder what happened to the beautiful, bubbly lady of Oceanic Bank.

The lesson for today?s banking chiefs is that there will always be a day of reckoning when they will be required to account for their handling of depositors? funds. Let them know that no matter what powers they wield now, they will be made to pay for their actions one day.
The jailing of Ibru has also confirmed the position of CBN governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, that the sacked bank chief is guilty of wrongdoing and deserves to be punished.

It is interesting that those who have up till now been placing adverts in the newspapers, challenging the CBN Governor?s position on the sacked bank chiefs, have not come up with any position on the Ibru jailing, which followed a plea bargain at her instance, to avoid a long jail sentence.
I sympathise with Ibru. She was probably carried away with the euphoria of those times, to do what she did.
Banking chiefs should learn a lesson from this and save Nigerians form sordid developments such as these.

Advertisements

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

THE N1BN IMPORTED DUSTBINS CONTRACT
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:30:25 AM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
  • Windows NT 6.1 Windows NT 6.1
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.10 Firefox 3.6.10
    • View Profile
Re: THE N1BN IMPORTED DUSTBINS CONTRACT
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:31:02 AM »
This kind of case will never end in Nigeria.

Advertisements

Offline sly B

• Nokia N72 Nokia N72
  • Browser:
  • Unknown Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:16:20 AM »
well, these are what you see in padi padi government.

that 600,000 plastic dustbin shld have been shared 50,000 among 12 plastic industries wit there names on it.you know what dis could mean 4 the country.Quality does not matter now,what matters is TO PRODUCE.

ONE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIA IS THAT WE FAIL TO APPRECIATE STAGES OF CIVILIZATION,there is stone age,industrial age and information age.

we NIGERIANS wants to jump this AGE.The fact that AMERICA is in INFORMATION AGE does not make NIGERIA to be in INFORMATION AGE.Appreciating this is our starting point.

i will stop here today.
4 Free pure water biz info,
text ur email to 
watercruise10@gmail.com

Offline gmiw.ng

• Captain
  • i'm going 2 make impact in this world.
  • Nokia 1680c-2 Nokia 1680c-2
  • Browser:
  • Unknown Unknown
    • View Profile
  • Profession: Fed. Civil Servant
Gmiw.ng
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
I disagree. American had passed tru alot for us. Father's go tru lot for the kids neva to experience. Our problem is not we cant but just idiot that feel Naija is there property.
LIFE COACH
Prince Yemi Kasali
BB 746DE94
mobile/watzapp 08154358688
www.trevocorporate.com

Offline sly B

• Nokia N72 Nokia N72
  • Browser:
  • Unknown Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »
yes you are right.
father pass tru a lot so that the kid will not repeat same BUT THAT IS ONLY POSSIBLE WHEN THE KID IS CONSIOUSLY CARRIED ALONG AND TUTORED.
Now what has the passed generation passed on to this generation:- IS IT NOT CORRUPTION?
4 Free pure water biz info,
text ur email to 
watercruise10@gmail.com

Offline gmiw.ng

• Captain
  • i'm going 2 make impact in this world.
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.5 Firefox 3.0.5
    • View Profile
  • Profession: Fed. Civil Servant
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:13:49 PM »
yes you are right.
father pass tru a lot so that the kid will not repeat same BUT THAT IS ONLY POSSIBLE WHEN THE KID IS CONSIOUSLY CARRIED ALONG AND TUTORED.
Now what has the passed generation passed on to this generation:- IS IT NOT CORRUPTION?

Yeap, we are! It's just that we need to up-root the oldies and replace them with new seedlings.
LIFE COACH
Prince Yemi Kasali
BB 746DE94
mobile/watzapp 08154358688
www.trevocorporate.com

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:13:49 PM »

ads