Author Topic: Death Traps, Not Pedestrian Bridges  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
Death Traps, Not Pedestrian Bridges
« on: March 08, 2008, 07:26:45 AM »
Majority of the pedestrian bridges in Lagos have exceeded their life spans.

It is rather sad that as usual, a disaster is being awaited before steps are taken to correct these anomalies. A situation where it is no longer safe to climb our foot bridges due to their deplorable conditions requires government?s urgent attention.

Government has a critical role to play in ensuring the safety of human lives on our roads, so the repair or replacement of most of these bridges should commence without further delay.

In the past three months, I have been opportuned to use about five bridges located in various parts of Lagos, and the experience has been quite traumatic. These bridges include the Cele footbridge along Apapa/Oshodi Expressway, the Onipanu bridge along Ikorodu Road, the Ojota bridge and the Fadeyi bridge. Most of these bridges are daily avoided by pedestrians who understandably believe it is far safer to cross the expressway than risking their lives on such contraptions.

At Ojota, I noticed that only two pedestrians were on the bridge. But because of my resolve to always be safety-conscious, I opted for the bridge and that ended up being my greatest undoing. As soon as I stepped onto the bridge, I understood why only the few bold ones were using it. I considered turning back midway but I realised that the way back would be as scary as the way forward.

As I crossed the bridge, I desperately clung to the side railings while I muttered some prayer lines. I became a spectacle for the beggars at the foot of the bridge who turned me into a laughing stock. I eventually got to the end of the bridge with a lot of sweat. There and then, I vowed never to take such a risk again (at least till the necessary repairs are carried out on the bridge).

It is the same story all over Lagos. These pedestrian bridges vibrate so much that it would take less than a discerning mind to know that they could cave in under the slightest pressure. Most of our leaders do not make use of these bridges (of course, they don?t need to), hence the plight of those who use them daily may not be understood.

There is a noticeable increase in the number of accidents around the pedestrian bridges because of the increase in the number of people who run across the expressways due to the people?s fear of the bridges.

Ngozi Konyebagu,

Okota, Lagos.

Advertisements

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:55:43 AM by Prince »

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

Death Traps, Not Pedestrian Bridges
« on: March 08, 2008, 07:26:45 AM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

ads