Author Topic: HIV/AIDS battle gets to barbers?shops in Lagos  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
HIV/AIDS battle gets to barbers?shops in Lagos
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:40:54 AM »
Campaigns against the spread of HIV/AIDS in Nigeria have been mostly restricted to the prevention of its transmission through sexual intercourse and blood transfusion in hospitals. The emphasis on safe sex, particularly the use of condoms, must have been informed by the belief that more than 80 per cent of HIV/AIDS is spread through sexual intercourse.

The efforts to curb the spread of the disease can be said to have yielded some fruits with the country?s HIV prevalence dropping from 5.8 per cent in 2001 to 5.0 per cent in 2003 and 4.4 per cent in 2005.

In spite of the decrease in the national prevalence rate, there has been an increase in the number of people living with the disease in some states. For example, 15 states, including the Federal Capital Territory, have prevalence rates greater than the national prevalence rate of 4.4 per cent.

Other states, including Lagos, have however recorded a drop in their prevalence rate. For example, the prevalence in Lagos dropped from 6.9 per cent in 1999 to 3.3 in 2005. Until last week, much emphasis had not been placed on the use of sharp objects. This must have informed Lagos State?s new guideline for barbers and hair dressers.

Last Thursday, the state government distributed 1,000 sterilisation units to barbers. At the event held in Agidingbi, Lagos, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on HIV/AIDS, Dr Adetokunbo Dabiri, said the disease could be spread through the use of sharp objects used by barbers.

Dabiri stated that one could not rule out the fact that there were people who contacted the disease through barbershops. Our correspondent learnt that the equipment can sterilise all tools used by barbers and hairdressers within five minutes.

She said the state Action Committee on AIDS would ensure that all barbers in the state use the sterilising equipment. ?We will constantly engage the leadership of barbers and hairdressers associations in monitoring of their members,? the officer said.

Dabiri, however, indicated that the use of the sterilising units could lead to the increase in the cost of cutting hair. ?We implore customers not to feel slighted or cheated whenever the cost of barbing goes up because barbers will need to buy chemicals for the sterilisation,? the governor?s aide added.

The state Governor, Mr. Raji Fashola, who distributed the sterilising units, said the state government was committed to the provision of infrastructure that would enhance the health of people.

The governor noted the HIV/AIDS has become a major health challenge in the world. According to him, it has affected 40m people in the world.

He stated that the state government would continue to intensify efforts to check the spread of the disease. According to him, the efforts of the government have resulted in the decline in the prevalence rate of the disease in the state.

The governor stated that the state government had been reaching to all segments of the society, particularly those infected with HIV/AIDS.

He urged barbers to use equipment certified by relevant authorities for sterilisation.

Advertisements

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 08:40:47 AM by Prince »

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

HIV/AIDS battle gets to barbers?shops in Lagos
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:40:54 AM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: HIV/AIDS battle gets to barbers?shops in Lagos
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:56:36 PM »
The barbers had been very stubborn. When my clipper got damaged, I just told my bros to shave the hair with blade!

That is better for me.
CLICK HERE TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS ON NBF SOCIAL NETWORK
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Links To Appear In both Signature and Posts.

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
I just told my bros to shave the hair with blade!

That is better for me.
What a precaution.

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »
In fact, that is my habit now since that is what the barber would do with clipper. Alternatively, I may just let it grow with reckless abandon. Who cares as long as it fits?

If you tell them to sterilize the clippers, they would spray kerosine on it as if doing you a favour.

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 03:57:32 PM »
Mind you the chances of getting HIV from a barber is 0.01%

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »
I know. But these barbers are reckless. They got your skin cut and then apply kerosine or spirit to sooth your pain.

Next you have the other risks too.

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »
I do barbe myself, i take everything off.

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »

ads