Author Topic: ?NIGERIAN ELECTIONS ARE FAULTY?  (Read 958 times)

Offline furtune

• Honorable
  • It is good to be good!
    • View Profile
?NIGERIAN ELECTIONS ARE FAULTY?
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:08 PM »
Senator Uche Chukwumerije has said many more elections should be annulled like the June 12 12, 1993 presidential poll won by late Chief Moshood Abiola.

He hinged his prescription on what he called the current happennings in the nation?s political terrain.

Chukwumerije was speaking during an interview with journalists in Abuja on Sunday.

Commenting on the annulment of the June 12 election, he said, ?In the circumstances of the time, given the security reports at that time, it could be said to some extent, to have been proper, but given the political implications, it is not proper.

?But I will say that if I were to judge it myself from purely ideological grounds, I wont know whether I will really have allowed the results to stand; just like some of the results today and others, because I have to decide whether what we want is a democracy or a plutocracy.

?If certain criteria were to have applied, many elections in Nigeria ought to have suffered the effect of June 12, many more elections in Nigeria.?

Chukwumerije said Nigerians had to decide the kind of democratic process they wanted.

According to him, ?The thing is this, if we decide on the way we are going now, election of moneybags by moneybags for moneybags and if we go by the way we are going annulment of June 12 is something that should be condemned by everybody because democracy in Nigeria is truncated.

?If you are talking of a direction that will lead us towards rule of the people by the people for the people, election in which moneybags and money will have little relevance, you are talking of a different kettle of fish entirely.?

He faulted the belated release of the June 12 election result by Prof. Humphrey Nwosu, saying if he were in his shoes, he would have damned the consequences by announcing the results.

Advertisements

CLICK HERE TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS ON NBF SOCIAL NETWORKYou Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Links To Appear In your Signature
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPAM TO INCREASE YOUR POSTS COUNT. START BY WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND HELPING OTHERS. SPAMMING WILL ONLY GET YOU BAN

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

?NIGERIAN ELECTIONS ARE FAULTY?
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:08 PM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

ads

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free