Author Topic: AMINAH CAME THROUGH  (Read 16496 times)

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: AMINAH CAME THROUGH
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2008, 11:16:02 AM »
Here's there definition from their website.

Who are Giraffe heroes?

They're men, women and kids, and they're from many races, religions and backgrounds?all sticking their necks our for the common good. They're truck drivers, students, retirees, artists, waitresses, doctors, homemakers, business people and teachers.

Since 1982 the Giraffe Project has found over 900 of them, then told their stories in national and local media, and in schools ? inspiring others to take on the challenges they see.

Giraffes are working on many different issues, from poverty to gang violence to environmental pollution. One element that's common to all of them is that they lead meaningful lives. Win, lose or draw they're living fully, giving their all. They know why they get up in the morning, why they do things that may be scary and difficult but must be done if their cause is to be served.

Our criteria for choosing Giraffes focus mainly on two questions: ?Is there significant risk involved in what this person has done? And is it for the common good? In particular, the ?sticking their necks out? factor means there?s an ongoing edge to what Giraffes do?something?s at risk for them. People who are fulfilling their job descriptions don?t make it through the Giraffe choosing process?the person has to be going above and beyond. People who are just famous, talented or gorgeous don?t make the cut either. Giraffes also tend to be involved in long-term efforts they?ve initiated, not one-time actions.

Since 1982 the Giraffe Project has found over 900 Giraffes.

Advertisements

I can do all things through God who strengthens me!

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2008, 11:16:02 AM »

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »
I REALLY have to go to bed now!  I just enjoy talking with y'all so much and you're all up now.  I'm going to be about useless tomorrow - LOL!
What a fuuny world,
It's 12pm noon here, while you guys are just going to bed over there.

Advertisements

« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2008, 11:18:39 AM »
Islandgirl,
I'd advise you complete your liberia mission before coming to Nigeria. You would have been prrepared for greater project.

Our population and education sophistication would make your liberia work a childplay...

People here already know more about missionary and are educated. So you have to add a bit of creativity to it unless you are coming for Healing crusade, which in itself would demand that you are at least on same level if not better than what we have on ground.

If there is a healing crusade coming your way, let me know!  I'll bring my son!  Actually he is the one who plans to come with me to Liberia.  He was born with resistant, recurrent bi-lateral club feet, 8 surgeries to date, with one more before we go to Liberia, hopefully the last as he is 16 and done growing.

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »
I REALLY have to go to bed now!  I just enjoy talking with y'all so much and you're all up now.  I'm going to be about useless tomorrow - LOL!
What a fuuny world,

Normally, I would be getting up in an hour to go for my run, so it's LONG past bedtime.

Offline aminah

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2008, 11:20:25 AM »
I am glad you aren,t upset with me...thank you islandgirl.
anything I can tell you is definitly only from my personal stand or viewpoint which was shaped through my experiences.

the first thing I have learned is that there is something like a drum beating in ones soul...it eather beats or it is silent.
what I mean is that the skin is not the issue but the inner spirit of any person.
there are people that have affinity towards asian culture ,some towards indian ,some towards african ...and so on....it,s something one cannot see ..just feel.

it helps if you have such affinity though it,s not a must .

assuming I was in your shoes....I would ( as you are already trying to do )  gather as many informations as I can,
liberia for example has been undersgoing a lot of difficuilties.the country has not at all recovered from the cruelties nor the past political settings.
many are afraid to go back from the camps the escaped to in other african countries .they do not trust the peace.
so I would start studying the history,the causes,the tribes,the culture,the thinking....but not just from the american or europian imagination or reasoning.
if I had to go there particularly I doubt I would take my kids along cause apart from the school issue...there is a security issue as well.

to learn a little of the main local dialects helps too.many africans appreciate highly when a white person trys to speak their language and would be more willing to open up to an extend.

another thing is that you should try to see things with african eyes.as you can partly see on this forum....there are differences in thinking .sometimes it,s hard not to judge....
respect ,tolerance and patience are key words.

what exactly would be your work in the orphanages? would you work directly with the kids?
likewise olanajim I am finding the agriculture projects interesting though....this might just be a little drop on the hot stone...
looking at  the so called globalisation and the mafia-like behaviour of big food companies .....

Islandgirl,
I'd advise you complete your liberia mission before coming to Nigeria. You would have been prrepared for greater project.

Our population and education sophistication would make your liberia work a childplay...

People here already know more about missionary and are educated. So you have to add a bit of creativity to it unless you are coming for Healing crusade, which in itself would demand that you are at least on same level if not better than what we have on ground.

yeah right...healing missions are the thing in nigeria ....
big show...pastor superstar...then people throwing there clodges and wheelshares in the air.....
anyway...some work...some are just show

alright
What a fuuny world,

sleep tight dear..tomorrow is another day.....it.s 12.17 midday here in germany

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »
That is great! Go to bed. When you wake up, you would reply others!
CLICK HERE TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS ON NBF SOCIAL NETWORK
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Links To Appear In both Signature and Posts.

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2008, 04:18:26 AM »
what does TBD mean? you typed it as answer to beibees question concerning why your man remained unmarried so long.
I also have difficuilties figuring out what you mean by the answers about the costs of family reunion and cost for the marriage.family reunion process here in germany requires money...and time since nigerians internationally  have a bad reputation about using fake documents or been married already .have you found out how it is done in your country?maybe it,s easier for you people since he already studied in the US.

I consider it fortunate that he isn,t the oldest son of the family....his responsibilities would be less...
maybe you can talk to his oldest sibling on the phone to indroduce yourself and for respect reason.
if he supports his living with farm work in senegal, he is not making too much money...I am doubtful he would be able to finance anything unless he has some savings from the states left or other means.

since you mentioned that it,s only pictures you know from eachother why not using webcam (there are internet cafes in africa that have them too) and chat like that.pictures are somehow not always telling the truth and mimics and gestures tell more.
I am still at awe that you seem to be completely convienced that you want to marry someone you have never seen ...not just go and meet him..no...right away marry him.
wow...and wow again..... :)

aminah - moved your questions from the other thread over here to answer.

I am not real sure what you mean by costs of family reunion.  The wedding is just going to be him, me, & 2 witnesses.
Cost of marriage - I am unsure of the costs, from the Embassy website we must bring a copy of our birth certificate, apply for a banns and post the banns for 15 days before the wedding.  He was in Dakar this week getting more information from a notary.  I am also going to be calling the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
For here in the US - I contacted the State Attorney Generals office to ask what needs to be done to assure that a marriage in Senegal would be recognized here.  They told me what needed to be done, which isn't anything different than what was on the embassy website.
Maybe I should talk with his siblings.
He does have some savings and also has a credit with airlines for a return trip here. 
I don't own a webcam, would rather not have one.  He asked me once when he was living here, if I had one he would have purchased one.  I jokingly told him if I had one then I would always have to "prettied" up for him.  We didn't discuss it after that, but he left back to Nigeria a couple of weeks later. 
You are not the only one in awe, I assure you.

I am arranging for a phone conversation between him and the Nigerian man I have mentioned elsewhere here whom is known to be a man of integrity.  He will tell me what he thinks of my man and we will move forward from there.  My man did not make reservations at the church because I asked him to hold for a bit, that he needs to talk with this man so that my family will come to the same conclusion I have already come to - my man is a good man, and give their blessings for us to be married.

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2008, 06:31:02 AM »
I think you are doing your best to ensure everything is in order.

But that webcam is a good idea. Even if it is used once.

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2008, 02:35:06 PM »
Thank you olanajim.

I suppose I should purchase one.

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2008, 02:55:20 PM »
It is worth it. At least the two of you can chat live

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2008, 05:19:03 PM »
problem being time zones right now, when he can get to computer and when I am home don't seem to ever line up.

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2008, 05:28:35 PM »
What about weekends?

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »

aminah came through is turning
to islandgirl coming through...

let's all keep vigil for islandgirl!

sister aminah: what did you actually
come through? i never got to ask or
find out till now.
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Link To Appear In your Signature
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPAM TO INCREASE YOUR POSTS COUNT. START BY WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND HELPING OTHERS. SPAMMING WILL ONLY GET YOU BANNED!

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2008, 05:31:24 PM »
you're not going to let me out of this are ya olanajim :)  weekends would probably work, even with my continual busyness.

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
@beibee,
this is an interactive thread. It is a soap opera.

@islandgirl,
it is all for you. So you can have the best communication.

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »
thank you kind sir :)

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2008, 05:45:07 PM »
I am not sir. I am still young! 99 year, not bad!

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »

and do the purchasing fast too!
i may get to meet you via it.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPAM TO INCREASE YOUR POSTS COUNT. START BY WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND HELPING OTHERS. SPAMMING WILL ONLY GET YOU BANNED!

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »
see I knew it wasn't completely unselfishly y'all wanted me to get one :), maybe this weekend I will leave the island and purchase one

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »
So you can't get it on the Island?

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
not on the southend where I live. 

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2008, 07:31:35 PM »
It sure must be an isolated area. Or is it because it is an agrarian community?

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »

i was just kidding...
i don't own one myself!

Offline IslandGirl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »
It sure must be an isolated area. Or is it because it is an agrarian community?

Being a bit isolated has its advantages!  It's also close enough to civilazation, just a ferry ride and 25 miles to Seattle.  Ferry is expensive though ($18, more if I take kids with me) so when I make a trip, it's for many things.  Unfortunately, just like the rest of the world, agriculture is going by the wayside so there are not a lot of farms, but have noticed a rise in people raising their own vegetables and fruits, so maybe farming will make a come back.

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »
Farming is needed today at the time world is having food crisis.

« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free