Author Topic: Believe, Faith and Trust  (Read 8136 times)

Offline tonib

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Believe, Faith and Trust
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »
hmmmmmm

Advertisements

king's kid

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 05:43:01 PM »
And now?
CLICK HERE TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS ON NBF SOCIAL NETWORK
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Links To Appear In both Signature and Posts.

Offline tonib

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 10:20:47 AM »
And now?
king's kid

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 10:24:24 AM »
FAITH!

Offline tonib

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 10:39:40 AM »
Good
king's kid

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 11:41:25 AM »
Faith is the highest level of conviction. Faith is always true. From my analogy, faith is what makes you believes your eggs would all produce chick. Faith is what would lead a man to deposit all his earning for humanitarian cause. Faith is acceptance that something you have not seen, felt, heard, is real.

When Abraham was told that at 100 year of age, his 95 year old baren wife will conceived. He not only believed, he also have faith.

Faith, however is of two types. DEAD FAITH AND LIVING FAITH. Both of them are effective. The only thing seperating them is knowledge and level of conviction. I don't believe in TRUE or FALSE FAITH. All faiths are TRUE! If you perceive a FAITH to be fake then it is nothing but something between TRUST and BELIEF.

Offline tonib

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 03:58:18 PM »
thank you so much
king's kid

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »
That is BELIEF!

Offline buda atum

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 04:24:30 PM »
I believe I can fly, but you try pushing me off a twenty floor building and see me kick the living daylights out of you if I can! the fact of the matter is I believe I could fly! I never told you I can fly now did I! I may even go as far as trusting that if I did get pushed I would fly, but that does not mean that I am prepared to test the idea thank you very much, in which then you could claim I do not really know whether I can fly or not, which is really making the point.

I look out my window and say, "It is raining", because I see what I understand to be rain falling from the skies.  If I were in the hall, which has no windows, I may decide the noise I hear coming from outside were falling rain, though, in the back of my mind I also think it might be the telly I left on in the living room which explains my "I believe it is raining", as opposed to me asserting rather positively that "it is raining, period".  In the latter, I have actually checked so I know, even though I may still be wrong, but in the former, I think it is raining, as I do not really know whether it is or not, and so I hedge my bet, I may be wrong.  I may have faith that it is indeed raining, having never checked, and hence put on a raincoat and take an umbrella as I go out.  Pity me though if it were the telly, the sun is really blazing away in the sky! I trusted my senses, but the damn things let me down I would say if I were going to be honest with my self.  The lie would be if I convinced myself it was raining when it wasn't, but my raincoat and umbrella made it stop! Did I hear you say "silly buda", there yet!? I'll say it to myself if you haven't.

One believes, has faith, and trusts quite a lot of things, some of them divine and many others borne out of one's inability to check.  One thing I do know for sure is that if I kicked you in the butt, you most likely would kick me back, despite my wish to believe in the faith I have that you would turn the other cheek.  And if I don't trust that you would, well, I can always try it, and find out, I suppose, after all, how do I know you can't be trusted till I tried.

Offline tonib

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »
@buda
thanks also for your clarification
king's kid

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Buda,
you have mixed them up. That is why you didn't get the clearer picture.

Let me help you. If you believe you can fly. Then it wasn't the believe but the TRUST you had in flying that made you contemplate flying. If you sincerely BELIEVE, then you would move to your window, open it and look at the floor from there. If you have FAITH, you would jump out of the window regardless of the danger. That is the illustration of the difference using your own words.

If you won't dare it, the you don't have FAITH! Faith never fail. Only few actually have faith.

Offline buda atum

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 07:10:50 PM »
Quote from: olanajim
Buda,
you have mixed them up.   That is why you didn't get the clearer picture. 
If you won't dare it, the you don't have FAITH! Faith never fail.   Only few actually have faith. 
Have I really mixed them up Olanajim, or is it you who do not get my picture? I must say, I am well known for painting them well, but let me consider, shall I?

Let me help you.   If you believe you can fly.   Then it wasn't the believe but the TRUST you had in flying that made you contemplate flying.   If you sincerely BELIEVE, then you would move to your window, open it and look at the floor from there.   If you have FAITH, you would jump out of the window regardless of the danger. 
Trust? Now that is a rather grand word! I may trust anything I want, but that does not necessarily make it so now does it? I may after all be deluded, and my faith may rest on sand! My believing is not exactly the same as my actually knowing Olanajim, so basing my trust on a belief rather on knowing is rather dangerous, I say. 

If I knew I could fly, I would not say "I believe I could fly", for my knowledge of my ability would be based on some experimental knowledge perhaps gained from having flown before (I don't have any such experience, note), in which case, my so called faith will be based on my personal ability as tested before.  Having no such experience, but believing I could fly sounds more pie in the sky if anything as it is not based on a solid foundation, so to say.   So on what basis would I be claiming to trust such untested faith in my ability to fly?

But lets say I have the trust you imply, unfounded though it is, and did open my window and jump out regardless of the danger.  You would understand that though my faith made me disregard the danger, the danger surely would not be disregarding me would it? And someone would have to scrape my battered body off the floor where it would lay splattered!

If you won't dare it, the you don't have FAITH! Faith never fail.   Only few actually have faith. 
I may dare it, and I may say my faith made me dare it, but this is surely where the words, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God" that Christ spoke to the tempter come in, I reckon.  Faith in the absurd cannot but fail, is what I mean.  Or as is properly said, faith without work (work meaning the testing of the basis of such faith), is groundless.  I do agree with you though that few actually have faith, but I reckon that those few are a very large portion of the people out there still. 

Hey Olanajim, do you think my picture is pretty well painted now?

Offline olanajim

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 07:37:39 PM »
You still it wrong. Sorry to say.

You cannot believe what you don't trust. We use trusts, sometimes in place of believe. You can trust anyone you don't know based on instinct or first contact. Your believe is actually base on fore knowledge. While your faith is the highest.

Many times we claim to have faith falter at the slightest sight of obstacle. Saying I believe I can fly is in order. You have to back it up with action before your faith can be felt.

Since you have never fly before, it remain just BELIEF. If you truly have faith in your ability to fly, you would demostrate it at the slightest opportunity.

Faith is the highest level in conviction. By FAITH, men achieve extraordinary. People who faith in their ability don't recite the I CAN DO mantra. They act once opportunity present itself.

In religion, we talk of BELIEVERS and FAITHFULS. The TRUST is not used as often because religion demand utmost conviction.

When you are, for instance, in difficult time. They tell you to TRUST IN GOD. That is to expect that God is capable. But the problem become harder. You are told to BELIEVE IN GOD. By your belief, you would devote to him and exhibit patience. At the extreme level. All efforts had failed and you seem hopeless. The word that would be used more often is FAITH.

Offline buda atum

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »
You still it wrong.  Sorry to say.
That's ok.  I wouldn't learn if you agreed  ;)

You cannot believe what you don't trust.  We use trusts, sometimes in place of believe.  You can trust anyone you don't know based on instinct or first contact.  Your believe is actually base on fore knowledge.  While your faith is the highest.
Hmm, I like your assumption in that first statement, but you are assuming I am some logical reasonable person however who cannot believe the impossible, and that by believing a thing necessarily makes it so.  Have you considered that I may be wrong in my trust of a person whom I have only just met for the first time? After all, the fact that i trust a person does not mean that person is trustworthy!

The very notion that I merely believe is rather indicative of the fact that my trust is incomplete or baseless.  If I were to base my belief on instinct or first contact, as you say, I am afraid I can't see how that amounts to "fore knowledge".  It does sound like the judging of a book by its cover to me, if you see what I mean, though I can see how you call it "having faith".  I may have faith, as you say however, but even that, in this instance is not based on any evidence, for if it were, why I am not asserting that I am absolutely certain, which by saying "I believe", I most definitely am not?

Many times we claim to have faith falter at the slightest sight of obstacle.  Saying I believe I can fly is in order.  You have to back it up with action before your faith can be felt.
I agree with your first statement.  For it is such that if I had faith in my belief, and met an obstacle, my faith flounders.  Would you not then claim that my faith was groundless therefore, however much of it I had before I faltered? And is this not the type of faith I alluded to having but hit the ground as soon as I attempted to fly out that window, some kind of untested faith based on an ill-conceived belief?

Since you have never fly before, it remain just BELIEF.  If you truly have faith in your ability to fly, you would demostrate it at the slightest opportunity.
You are jumping a stage here Ola (may I by the way?).  Of course if I did have faith in my ability to fly, I would fly.  But I could have faith only because I have evidence or something that makes me believe I can fly.  The fact still remains that I may attempt to fly, and still not be able to fly at all, and I may not know this having never tried flying.  The point is whether I have faith or belief, I can most definitely not fly, and no amount of believing or faith will change that fact whether I try it or not.  And if I were to jump out that window, well.

Faith is the highest level in conviction.  By FAITH, men achieve extraordinary.  People who faith in their ability don't recite the I CAN DO mantra.  They act once opportunity present itself.
"I have done", is the highest level of conviction Ola, after that comes "I can", and way back in third would come, "I believe I can fly".  But do please recognise that I am not saying what is, or must be for everyone, but what is for me.  I do agree with you though that most things we do, we do because we have the faith that the result will be as we believe it will be.  We have never done them before, but believe that if we did, the result would be as we desired. 

This is however not always the case, as many have believed in the utter improbable.  I think it is for this reason that it is written, which I give in Yoruba, that should "ma se da owo le oun koun lai ko ro be igbehin re yio ti ri" (which in my coloq translates to "do not put your hands on anything without first considering how it will turn out").  The implication of the statement is that one should not just believe anything without first, at least, considering it.

In religion, we talk of BELIEVERS and FAITHFULS.  The TRUST is not used as often because religion demand utmost conviction.
Yes, I know that religious people use such language.  I however have personally wondered why they do not claim to be more certain than mere believers.  Take for instance the quote from the Bible, "For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son. . . . . ".  Many people who read that sentence will claim to believe that it is true, but ask them how it is true, or what the next line means, and its rather easy to see how they do not even know what it is they mean by what they claim to believe.  Or is something much more not meant by the expression "Whosoever believeth in him shall live eternal life"?

Still, from a religious point of view, you are most absolutely correct in your analysis, and my painting can only be called wrong as such.  I would say that it is not so much that my picture is wrong, but that it is a wrong picture as far as you are concerned.  I am sure we would iron out the differences, if there are any, as we engage in other topics though. 

Thank you for painting for me.  You paint a most beautiful picture.   :-*

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »

ads