Author Topic: One Million Women To March For Endometriosis  (Read 9412 times)

Offline edrixpure

• Asistance
  • Honorable
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 32.0.1700.102 Chrome 32.0.1700.102
    • View Profile
  • Profession: Student
One Million Women To March For Endometriosis
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »
 The Endometriosis Support Group Nigeria (ESGN) has concluded arrangements for a “Million Women March” around major cities in Nigeria as part of activities lined-up to join the rest of the world in identifying with all women living with endometriosis.

Endometriosis is a fairly common gynecological disorder which can cause extremely painful periods, chronic and disabling pelvic pain anytime during the cycle but usually worse during menses, and subfertility/infertility, amongst other symptoms.

Speaking to the media in Lagos, Endomarch Country Affiliate Partner Representative and Lead Consultant, Nordica Fertility Centre, Dr. Abayomi Ajayi stated that endometriosis develops when endometrial-like cells similar to those lining the inside of the uterus (endometrium) begin growing in other areas or organs of the body.

Ajayi noted that women suffering endometriosis endure excruciating pains during their menstrual cycle that has no ready cure and the group wants to sensitise women generally on what is required of them at such times.

“Endometriosis Support Group Nigeria is a non-governmental organisation with the sole aim of assisting women, both young and old who are challenged with the endometriosis condition. Since 2005, the support group has been at the forefront of internationally recognised peer review and professional services, programmes and resources; actively lobbying for better outcomes for these women affected with endometriosis. We help women understand the condition, learn about treatment options and best care practices, as this condition affects females from as early as puberty,” Ajayi stated.

He added that the aim is to empower the people, by creating awareness, educate, garner support, encourage volunteering initiatives, and provide support system through shared experiences as well as proffer best treatment options to individuals.

He stated that ESGN is the first and only organisation focusing on this condition in Nigeria and the West African sub-region.
 “Like many other disorders, endometriosis can be a chronic condition, with symptoms ranging from mild to severe. Diagnosing endometriosis can be difficult for a non-spe...t because symptoms can vary widely and the only way to definitely diagnose endometriosis is by undergoing a surgical procedure called laparoscopy. Unfortunately many women and girls with endometriosis experience an average of about 6-10 years delay before being accurately diagnosed in developed parts of the world and probably never in many parts of Africa,” the consultant gynaecologist noted.

He stated that the pain felt by these women could not be described but through their words in a survey carried out by Kathryn Tocco in Wisconsin, US, there is a sneak peek into their lives: “A knife stabbing my ovaries.” “Like someone shredded my insides and is pouring lemon juice over the open wounds and taking sand paper over them at the same time on top of cramps.” “My insides feel like they are on fire and the pain is so bad I pass out from the pain!!

Some other testimonials are: “I feel like I'd imagine getting stabbed in the stomach feels. It's a burning throb. It also feels like everything is all fused together in my stomach so if I stand too quickly, it pulls and yanks my organs and it’s so painful I have to sit back down or pass out.”

“It feels like labour each month but we don't get a cute baby at the end. Like my uterus is having an uncontrollable seizure. My stomach bloats so bad it looks like I'm pregnant. It’s hard and there’s no sucking it in. Oh and if you sit at a desk all day there is no relief. And I get this tearing, pulling never- ending pain on my left side.”

Also speaking, a fertility counselor, Ms. Esther Ojiete stated that the month of March is the designated month for endometriosis worldwide and each year, the ESGN celebrates this month via series of activities. “The ‘Million Woman March for Endometriosis Worldwide’ is a globally initiative where women unite all over the world and take a stand against endometriosis. This activity seeks to educate, empower and effect change, while improving the quality of life of these women and their partners/spouses and the Society at large,” she said.

Ojiete invited the general public to take a stand in order to ensure better living for these women by joining the Endo Team Nigeria via registration online at http://www.endometriosis-sgn.org for the walk as well as supporting the worthy cause.
 Ajayi noted that beyond the walk, various activities like fund raising for the condition have been lined up.

The Lagos State March is scheduled for March 8 from 8:30am -12noon at Onikan Stadium where further consultations and other interactive sessions will take place with the US and Nigerian Endo teams, FCT Abuja- March 18 with a endometriosis lecture by US-based Gerald Harkins, and Asaba, Delta State- March 20 for awareness campaign on endometriosis and free consultations.
 Ajayi noted that March 13 would be the Global Million Woman March for Endometriosis, Washington DC, United States.

Advertisements

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

One Million Women To March For Endometriosis
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

ads

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free