Author Topic: Ogbonna Toes Jibunoh’s Path In Art Development  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Lecturerdave

• Honorable
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 29.0.1547.62 Chrome 29.0.1547.62
    • View Profile
  • Profession: Banking and Finance
Ogbonna Toes Jibunoh’s Path In Art Development
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »

Some art works to reside in Augene Foundation’s museum

Experts are of the view that for the visual art sector to develop further, private individuals must step in with laudable initiatives to drive the sector. This view has been reiterated by an art lover who is also a former deputy governorship candidate of now defunct All Nigerian Peoples Party (ANPP) Nkechi Chukwueke.

Chukwueke, who described the unemployment rate in the country as problematic, said the efforts of art-loving personalities and private concerns would go a long way in positioning the art sector for the sake of artists and patrons.

She made this known at a session held in Lagos by Chief Solomon Ogbonna, an art collector who has just established a private museum and an art foundation much like the case of foremost environmental activist and art enthusiast, Newton Jibunoh and DIDI Museum.

“Solomon (Ogbonna’s) project will not only serve as an avenue for job creation but also expose young artists to the art world. With such magnitude of artworks in the care of a private collector, there would be an attraction of other art lovers in other countries which will create revenue and boost the country’s economy through tourism,” she said.

Ogbonna, a proud title holder said to have tens of artworks including pieces made of beads, bronze, metal, wood, copper, terra-cotta and paintings in his possession, is also involved in art advocacy.

According to the art patron, his efforts are aimed at protecting and preserving the art, culture and tradition of his people, especially with western influence fast eroding such. To this end, construction is on for a building that would serve as a private museum and home for his art foundation named Aguene Art Foundation.

“The preservation of art, culture and the tradition of the people is a vision flowing in the blood of my family. The Aguene Art Foundation is a result of my love for art, I want to use this foundation to help the young artists who are talented but do not have the material to showcase and expose their talents to the world because of  lack of resources.

“The foundation will help them with their creativity and make them independent on their own, and also serve as a medium to empower students who are creatively talented from primary to secondary schools and also university.”

Ogbonna disclosed that the ventures are being done in partnership with a number of foreign art collectors while noting that works in his collection are not for sale being a part of history that must be preserved.

“Foreign partners and I agreed on exchanging our artworks for a period of time, they will take some of my works for exhibition in their country, and I will also take some of their works for exhibition in our own country,” he added.

Advertisements

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

Ogbonna Toes Jibunoh’s Path In Art Development
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

ads