Author Topic: GUNMEN SEIZE DARFUR AID WORKERS  (Read 7327 times)

Offline Prince

  • Administrator
  • Honorable
  • *****
  • Posts: 32,949
  • Country: ng
  • Gender: Male
  • OS:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.8 Firefox 3.0.8
    • View Profile
GUNMEN SEIZE DARFUR AID WORKERS
« on: April 06, 2009, 05:38:00 AM »

Hundreds of thousands of people need aid in Darfur

 Gunmen have kidnapped two foreign aid workers in Darfur and are demanding a ransom for their release, Sudanese state media report.

Aide Medicale Internationale confirmed that two of its workers, a Canadian and a French national, were abducted in southern Darfur on Saturday night.

French officials say they are in contact with both the aid agency and the local authorities.

Canada has said it is seeking information on the incident.

It is the second kidnapping of Western humanitarian workers in Darfur in less than a month.

AMI has been operating in Darfur since 2004.

Crisis cell

Sudan expelled 13 international aid agencies after an international warrant was issued against President Omar al-Bashir last month for alleged war crimes in Darfur.

AMI's two aid workers were abducted overnight at gunpoint at Ed el-Fursan in southern Darfur, the agency said, condemning the action.

Sudanese officials said that two Sudanese staff with the workers were also kidnapped but later released.

Senior Sudanese foreign ministry official Ali Yussif said the government was "doing its best" to free the AMI staff.

Frederic Mar, a spokesman for AMI, said the agency had been spared when Khartoum expelled the non-governmental organisations last month.

"We were continuing our programme, we weren't targeted," he told AFP news agency.

France's foreign ministry has set up a crisis response cell to deal with the kidnapping.

In Ottawa, the Canadian foreign affairs department said it was ready to "provide consular aid".

Three Medecins Sans Frontieres staff - a French administrator, a Canadian nurse and an Italian doctor - were freed on 12 March after being held for three days.

Sudanese and Italian officials insisted that no ransom had been paid to secure their release.

Advertisements


Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

GUNMEN SEIZE DARFUR AID WORKERS
« on: April 06, 2009, 05:38:00 AM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free


Offline beibee

  • Global Moderator
  • Honorable
  • ****
  • Posts: 29,294
  • Gender: Male
  • OS:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0
    • View Profile
Re: GUNMEN SEIZE DARFUR AID WORKERS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »
why are they doing this?
CLICK HERE TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS ON NBF SOCIAL NETWORK
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Link To Appear In your Signature
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPAM TO INCREASE YOUR POSTS COUNT. START BY WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND HELPING OTHERS. SPAMMING WILL ONLY GET YOU BANNED!

Offline ajithaj

  • Jr. Member
  • Posts: 82
  • Gender: Female
  • OS:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 5.0.375.125 Chrome 5.0.375.125
    • View Profile
Re: GUNMEN SEIZE DARFUR AID WORKERS
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »
hi

Aide Medicale Internationale confirmed that two of its workers, a Canadian and a French national, were abducted in southern Darfur on Saturday night.

French officials say they are in contact with both the aid agency and the local authorities.
 :) :)


regards,

phe9oxis

hxxp: www. guidebuddha. com

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

Re: GUNMEN SEIZE DARFUR AID WORKERS
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »

 

ads

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free