Author Topic: TROUBLE MAKING A LIVING AT LAGOS ARTS AND CRAFTS MARKET  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Prince

• Administrator
  • Honorable
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.6 Firefox 3.0.6
    • View Profile
TROUBLE MAKING A LIVING AT LAGOS ARTS AND CRAFTS MARKET
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:22 AM »

Arts of survival

Global marketplaces feel the downturn

Inside Oba Elegushi market in Lagos.

Lagos markets and traders are starting to feel the pinch as oil prices fall, government revenue shrinks and Nigeria's currency, the Naira, slides against the US dollar.

"The present economic crisis is affecting every aspect of life here," says Adamu Bima, 35, a trader at the Oba Elegushi arts and crafts market, who also holds a degree in economics.

"I struggle to make ends meet. I sometimes have to borrow to support my family."

The market is known for its colourful mix of paintings, beads, woodwork, bronze and tie-dye fabrics, produced in Nigeria, Kenya, Mali and others parts of Africa.

It's a tourist attraction, but fewer people are buying, and those that do buy are spending less, says Adamu Bima.

Job hunt

One of the problems is that the Naira has fallen from 118 to the dollar in November, to 145 today.

"I sell Nigerian and imported leather and wooden arts. It now costs more both for the goods that are imported and the locally made ones," says Adamu Bima.

A few months ago he could buy a leather case for N2000 ($14). Now it costs N3000 ($20).

The price of food, transport and clothing is also rising.

Adamu Bima says he has been in the business for 20 years but is now looking for an alternative.

Market traders are experiencing real hardship, he says.

He wants the government to import less, export more and put more emphasis on agriculture.

Advertisements

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

TROUBLE MAKING A LIVING AT LAGOS ARTS AND CRAFTS MARKET
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:22 AM »

Enter Your Email Below For Daily Jobs Updates, It's Free

100% Free

Offline damince

• New Comer
  • Windows Vista Windows Vista
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: TROUBLE MAKING A LIVING AT LAGOS ARTS AND CRAFTS MARKET
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 01:38:48 PM »
The greatest economies  in the world too have their down time and in situations like that running away is a sign of weakness.
Always believe the sun will shine again. Hold on brother. You can get in touch with me at damikanbi@yahoo. com. I and a team of intelligent others are working to raise the artworks sales in Nigeria.

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 05:04:31 PM »

how?
CLICK HERE TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS ON NBF SOCIAL NETWORK
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Link To Appear In your Signature
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPAM TO INCREASE YOUR POSTS COUNT. START BY WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND HELPING OTHERS. SPAMMING WILL ONLY GET YOU BANNED!

Offline damince

• New Comer
  • Windows Vista Windows Vista
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:11:53 AM »
The project is tagged Art Mines and the aim is to bring art straight into the street. I am of the opinion that when artwork becomes what is seen on a daily basis it will no longer be an object meant for the few. Imagine a bill board that is both artistic and at the same time serving as a display medium. That is what a sculptural piece made of steel joined in an unusual way is. . . it is a total movement from simplicity to a more beautiful and advanced medium of relaying message to the masses. I would have to be sure my ideas is pirate proofed to say the details. So if you believe that a Painting,a Textile piece,a Sculptural installation,a Ceramics Design,and a Graphic display,can worth nothing less than six figures even in this economy that is considered to be bad. . . then get in touch with me. Remember things don't just happen. It is the input of men and women of substance that is making the world go round. . . . . So beibei i have done justice to your . . . HOW?

Offline beibee

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 05:50:20 PM »

pretty well you did.

i'm grateful. your words are convincing.
CLICK HERE TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS ON NBF SOCIAL NETWORK
You Need to Make 50 Posts For Your Link To Appear In your Signature
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPAM TO INCREASE YOUR POSTS COUNT. START BY WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND HELPING OTHERS. SPAMMING WILL ONLY GET YOU BANNED!

Nigerian Best Forum . NBF

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 05:50:20 PM »

ads